Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Back it up to spring!

Since I last updated the web log a few eventful things have happened and were captured with a photo apparat.  After the Syllamo races in March, I managed to run a few more fun runs (races).  First was the sopping wet run called the Big Rock Mystery Run in Little Rock, Arkansas.  Running the Mystery Run means you do not know the course in advance, the distance is ~8-10 miles of mostly runnable hills (near the Arkansas River and Emerald Park) and an adventurous game of snatching a card at each of twenty or so check points.  If a runner blasts through without stopping or misses a check point and fails to grab a card, then X amount of minutes are added to their final race time.  It poured rain, the fog was beautiful, I was laughing and running and trying to keep my shorts from falling off.  Arkansas Outside photographers were there and captured quite a few stunningly calculated shots at great viewpoints.  The highlight of the race was when a few runners ventured into a stream drainage that tunneled under the earth for about 100-200 ft and dumps into the Arkansas River VIOLENTLY.  During the course setup, the RD placed a card check point in this drainage prior to the rainfall and had not anticipated the torrent to come on race day.  What a game!
 
The second fun run I participated in was called the Mount Magazine Trail Run.  This race is ~18 miles (+ a 12 mile alternative run) and has a stiff out and back at the end...three miles downhill, turn around, and three miles uphill.  I went out at a fast pace and did not sustain my calorie intake during that time.  I started to struggle and fell behind but only one female passed (my buddy) and I started to feel better with some calories. Onto the downhill section of the out-and-back, I ran through a stretch of a fluffy pile of leaves with hidden loose cobbles inside (without slowing down) and the next thing I knew I was on the ground sprawled out.  I grabbed my ankle in PAIN!!  I thought my race was over...a man passed me while I was lying there...then the 3rd place woman passed me while I was hobbling along trying to decide if I should finish the race.  Of course I was going to finish...but now it was only about finishing. 
I am smiling (post injury) as I approached the turn around.  I guess it wasn't so bad after all if I'm smiling
(photo credit C. Ferren)!

We spent the weekend camping, climbed ONE route on Mt. Magazine because we were overwhelmed by 5-6 different types of insects trying to eat us, and spent time with good friends.  Mt. Magazine is the tallest peak in Arkansas and a great state park to enjoy the Outdoors in Arkansas.
 
Deb and me at the top of Mt. Magazine cheers-ing the race/weekend!  If you've ever been out West, this sign may seem WHACK.  Clearly, black bears in Arkansas haven't learned to pry open cars to score food.
--------------------------------------begin whining-----------------------------------
So I've had this ankle problem for the last + year and I find myself rolling it, falling on the ground, feeling intense pain and my body then secretes a bunch of adrenaline and I keep on running.  To be fair to my adrenals, I've made some efforts in strengthening the muscles around my ankle with TheraBand exercises and sometimes wearing an ankle brace during my runs.  This all came about because of a single event when I sprained my ankle in December 2011.  I was on crutches and sometimes I think it might have been better if it had just broken instead of stretching everything out to the max. 
----------------------------------------end whining---------------------------------------- 
 


The following weekend I went to Burns Park to run a short 4-5 mile trail race with the Hash House Harriers of Little Rock.  I didn't know a single person there and ended up spending 7-8 hours that day hanging out with these folks.  This traditional annual race has been going on for decades and is also a 'mystery' course to the entrants.  Let me just say this, people were drinking beer before the race even started and everyone received a first place rattlesnake plaque.  No ankle sprains, first woman overall, instant new friends, and a bunch of beer and food. 




Unrelated to running, an amazing old friend of mine married a beautiful woman and friend at the Dunbar Community Garden.  What a great idea for an outdoor wedding!  This event lasted a couple of days and I was so happy to see the faces of people I have loved over the years and rarely see. 
Wow!  The three of us back together again...(whaassssuuuuup) Cotton Pony Ninjas!

While in Arkansas, we remodeled the house we were living in and were packed and ready for the trip to California.  We also packed our 'other' belongings in order to blast from California for a more ~permanent~ move to Maine at the end of August.  More about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment